FCC Probes ABC’s ‘The View’ Over Political Candidate Airtime Rules

Thursday, February 19, 2026 at 1:31 PM

Federal regulators are investigating whether ABC's daytime talk show 'The View' violated equal time requirements for political candidates. The probe comes as the FCC tightens enforcement of rules requiring broadcast stations to provide equal airtime when hosting political figures.

Federal broadcasting regulators are examining whether ABC’s daytime talk program ‘The View’ broke rules requiring equal airtime for political candidates, the agency’s top official confirmed this week.

FCC Chairman Brendan Carr told reporters Wednesday that his agency has launched an enforcement probe into the show. “The FCC has an enforcement action underway on that,” Carr stated following an agency meeting. “And we’re taking a look at it.”

The investigation centers on appearances by Texas Senate candidates James Talarico, a Democrat, and U.S. Representative Jasmine Crockett, who are competing for their party’s nomination. Talarico appeared on the program February 2nd, while Crockett has also been featured on the show.

The current administration has intensified scrutiny of television talk programs, with federal regulators suggesting some may be “motivated by partisan purposes.” This week, late-night comedian Stephen Colbert revealed that CBS network executives canceled a planned appearance by Talarico on his program due to concerns about equal time violations.

Broadcasting officials issued fresh guidelines in January warning late-night and daytime television hosts they must provide balanced airtime to political candidates. While certain programs are exempt from these requirements – including news broadcasts, legitimate interview shows, and live event coverage – regulators are questioning whether talk shows should maintain their exemption.

“The FCC has not been presented with any evidence that the interview portion of any late night or daytime television talk show program on air presently would qualify for the bona fide news exemption,” the agency stated in its public notice last month.

Carr, who was appointed during the previous Trump administration, previously suggested that examining ‘The View’ – whose hosts regularly criticize the Republican president – could be “worthwhile.”

The FCC chairman appeared to relish the controversy surrounding Colbert’s situation, telling reporters Wednesday that watching the aftermath “was probably one of the most fun days I’ve had in the job.” He accused Talarico of exploiting media attention “apparently for the purpose of raising money and getting clicks.”

These equal airtime regulations only affect traditional broadcast television, not streaming platforms or internet content. Colbert subsequently released the Talarico interview on YouTube, where it has garnered over 7.5 million views – far exceeding his typical CBS viewership.

Following the blocked CBS appearance, Talarico’s campaign reported collecting $2.5 million in donations within 24 hours of the YouTube interview’s release.

Representatives for ‘The View’ did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.

CBS officials said they provided Colbert with “legal guidance” indicating that airing the Talarico interview could trigger equal time requirements. During Tuesday night’s broadcast, Colbert noted that while Carr suggested in January he might eliminate talk show exemptions, “CBS generously did it for him.”

More from TV Delmarva Channel 33 News