WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. Secret Service announced Sunday that an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Fla.
Although Trump often spends weekends at his resort, he was at the White House during this incident. First lady Melania Trump was also with the president at the White House on Saturday night.
The name of the person who was shot has not been released. According to the Secret Service, he was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can.”
He was shot by Secret Service agents and a Palm Beach County sheriff deputy, the agency said.
Trump has faced threats to his life before. He was wounded during an assassination attempt during a campaign rally in Butler, Pa., on July 13, 2024.
Then on Sept. 15, 2024, a man with a rifle was captured after waiting near Trump’s golf course in West Palm Beach while the president played a round. He was sentenced to life in prison earlier this month.
The White House did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
Brought to you by www.srnnews.com
US Homeland Security: TSA PreCheck still operational, reverses earlier announcement
The Latest: Armed man shot, killed after entering perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says
US trade chief says no countries have said they will withdraw from tariff deals
New law puts Kansas at vanguard of denying trans identities on drivers licenses, birth certificates