May 23 (Reuters) – Eight people were confirmed dead and 38 remain trapped underground after a coal mine accident in northern China’s Shanxi province, state news agency Xinhua reported on Saturday, citing local emergency management authority.
A gas explosion occurred late Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, Xinhua reported.
By early Saturday, 201 people had been brought to the surface, including the eight dead, the report said.
(Reporting by Fabiola Arámburo in Mexico City; Editing by Tom Hogue)
Brought to you by www.srnnews.com
Japanese woman who scaled the world’s 14 top peaks says she wants to share joy
Thousands evacuated in Southern California due to failing chemical tank
Argentine freed from Venezuelan prison urges pressure to release remaining prisoners