(Reuters) -Russian drones and missiles attacked districts of Kyiv early on Saturday, killing one person and injuring 11, officials said, with explosions and falling drone debris triggering fires.
It was the second attack on the Ukrainian capital over four days. Seven people died on Tuesday, when Russian forces launched a barrage of drones and missiles.
The head of Kyiv’s military administration, Tymur Tkachenko, said there had been strikes at six locations on Saturday, with apartment buildings and other dwellings hit in the city of 3 million.
The military administration said the body of one resident was recovered from rubble at an apartment building that had been set ablaze. A child was rescued from the same building.
Mayor Vitali Klitschko said a strike had also triggered a fire in the lower floors of a high-rise apartment block west of the city centre. Another fire broke out and was quickly brought under control in a central district.
A new air raid alert for incoming drones was issued in the capital after 5 a.m. (0300 GMT).
Pictures posted online showed at least one apartment building on fire and emergency crews working alongside damaged buildings and in streets littered with debris.
(Reporting by Ron Popeski; Editing by Chris Reese, Diane Craft and Tom Hogue)
Brought to you by www.srnnews.com
Death toll from floods and landslides on Indonesia’s Sumatra island rises to 248, authorities say
Authorities probe corruption and negligence in Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades
This African nation built its development on diamonds. Now it’s crashing down